Last week’s options were
- I especially like Indian summer. (7 votes)
- I like especially Indian summer. (0 votes)
All votes were correct – so my students weren’t voting ;). Adverb placement is one of the trickiest issues in English grammar. As a rule of thumb, place them before the verb, but after an auxiliary verb (be, have):
- Indian summer is especially nice when it lasts into November.
- Unfortunately, I have never experienced it in New England.
This week, decide between two options:
- This has to be done until Friday.
- This has to be done by Friday.